Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Happy New Year!

I am just regrouping after the holidays.....and the holidays were great! I don't want to imagine how long it would have taken me to regroup if the holidays were filled with sensational chaos....

Some new links on the blog:
  • vote for Chase for Hope (link on the right)
  • watch the Temple Grandin Movie premier (link on the right). I attended Dr. Temple Grandin's lecture on autism (she is autistic herself); it was awesome; she shares her first hand insight into the world of someone living with sensory processing disorder.
  • you may want to consider attending the presentation of "How to Help Your Anxious Child". More information below.
And ....I'm attending:

Living Sensationally at Home, School and the Community

For Clinicians, Teachers and Parents

Exploring sensory response patterns and
strategies for treating, teaching, and living with children who have SPD

Please let me know of any problems you want me to address. I will be picking their brains. And I will be meeting (informally) with staff at the SPD Foundation and asking about their protocols on giving my own workshops to help parents in the lower mainland.

Finally
....we were one of the top three fundraisers for Sensory Showtime raising close to $15,000 dollars....yeah! Most of these funds came from corporate sponsors that did not actually attend the Showtime.

I thought we could meet again in April, after my trip, but please feel free to contact me anytime!

All the best!
Domenica

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)

Sensory processing disorder (SPD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects at least one in twenty children. Children with SPD don't process or experience sensory information the way other typical children do; therfore, they don't behave the way other children do. They struggle to perform tasks that come easier for other children. Consequently they suffer a loss of quality in their social, personal, emotional and academic life.

The Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation is dedicated to continue their research into the knowledge and treatment of SPD, so that, as Lucy Jane Miller writes in her book "Sensations Kids", "the millions of sensational children currently "muddling through" daily life will enjoy the same hope and help that research and recognition already have bestowed on coutless other conditions that once baffled science and disrupted lives."